Travel Info: Planning for Japan 2007

I want to go to Japan, simple as that. So I've started researching. I've looked up yearly festivals and I'm going to plan my trip around the Tokyo Game Show, which is in September.

I shouldn't say 'my' trip, as I will be traveling with my current beau, Pete. Actually, his name is James. He's not big on traveling, there are other things he'd rather spend his money on, but visiting Japan would actually interest him so I'm psyched he's going. I'm really looking forward to shopping and have already begun to learn some key phrases, through a free podcast I subscribed to on iTunes. I've started alerts on Kayak and Farecast, to keep me informed for any dips in the fare of my tickets. I've already decided I want to spend no more than $800 on them, we'll see how that goes!

Pete bought me a travel book on Japan and the culture is simply fascinating. Maybe I should contact a few people via myspace or something that would be willing to meet up and show us around Tokyo. I definitely want to go see the indoor pool with the synthetic sand!

Stuff to do:
Research tickets to the game show
Research hotels, hostels
Get some info from the Embassy

Stuff I've Found:
Kasai Rinkai Seaside Park, a piece of reclaimed land on the way to Tokyo Disneyland. You take the JR Keiyo Line towards Chiba (or the Yurakucho or Rinkai Lines) to Shin-Kiba station, and it's about a 7-10 minute walk towards the sea.
Another one:
a small amusement park in the asakusa area of tokyo (i believe it's called HANAYASHIKI)

Hotels!!
Capsule death coffin ones: http://www.yesicanusechopsticks.com/thesequel/capsule/index.htm
http://www.yesicanusechopsticks.com/thesequel/capsule/IMG_2752_small.JPG
One guy's story: http://www.links.net/vita/trip/japan/lodging/capsulefontaine/
Note- NO GIRLS allowed in the capsule hotels! All men.

Tokyo Green Hotel: Ochanomizu
Business Hotel
Akihabra/Kanda
8400 / night

Kimi Ryokan
Traditional
Ikebukuro
4800 / night

Love Hotels!!
Japan's Indoor Man-Made Beach: Ocean Dome, $50
Entrance costs US$50, which seems especially expensive given that there is a free, natural beach only 300 metres away.
DisneyJapan: WOO HOOOO $48
DisneySea: Tokyo, $48<----- I don't know what that is..but yay! Universal Studios, Japan: still cheap! $48 Tokyo Summer Land Water park in Hachioji, Tokyo prefecture-

It's also good to research transportation:
Tokyo Subway: http://www.tokyometro.jp/e/index.html
Rates: Most rides across Tokyo cost no more than 180 yen. A Tokyo Combination Ticket, an all day "Open Ticket" that can be used on all lines, is 710 yen (adult) and 360 yen (child). These tickets can be bought up to six months in advance and can be used up to six months after the date of purchase. Hours: Trains run daily from 5 a.m. to midnight.
0 Responses